This is a story that is difficult to hear.
As the high school senior explained his reason for wanting to go to college and study psychology, he mentioned that he wanted to outdo his family. Mentioning that has mother had never been good with money and that his father was in jail, this young man has set college graduation as his goal. Navigating food and housing insecurity during the last three years, this young man and his one year older brother have had to handle some unbelievable circumstances. They were gifted an older car, but had to teach themselves how to drive; they have been offered a home to share, but they ended up losing almost everything when flood waters extended to record high levels.
Breaking the cycle of poverty is not always easy, but there are many studies that show a college education is a good start. With the help of scholarship money that is sometimes available to first generation college students, there are some students who can find a way to be more successful when they do not also have to work full time while they are taking college classes.
Those Charge with Drug Offenses Find Themselves Dealing with Many Kinds of Future Challenges
Even when high school graduates have the best of intentions, their plans can be completely derailed by poor decisions. For instance, drug charges or drug possession can limit the opportunities that students have later in their lives. Fortunately, there are criminal defense lawyers who can help students, and anyone facing a criminal charge, understand the options that might be available to them. And while some drug charges are more serious than others, it is always important to get the most experienced legal advice available so that you can understand what your options may be.
Both drug and sex offenders find themselves facing some of the most difficult challenges that they have ever seen. Finding the right kind of legal defense can help people see if there is an option for a lesser fine or a shorter jail sentence, and in some cases, a not guilty verdict. Many times it is in your best interest that you can get a law firm that is known for specializing in the kind of case that you are facing. Just as you would not want to take your jet ski to a car mechanic, if you are facing drug charges you so not want to be with a legal team that specializes in divorces. And while no lawyer can guarantee any results, it only makes sense that you want your drug charges defended by a lawyer who is known for having success in those kinds of cases.
Consider some of these acts and figures about the many times when people find themselves in need of legal advice:
- Approximately 67% of alleged perpetrators of college campus sexual assault claimed the school did not follow its own disciplinary procedures regarding the handling of sexual misconduct, according to information from a five-year study conducted by United Educators.
- From that same five year study, the research found a significant increase in the number of claims brought against colleges and universities by alleged perpetrators of sexual assault. Of all claims looked at in this study, 100% of the alleged perpetrators were male.
- Although some things can vary from one state to another, people in Ohio with criminal records face nearly 900 barriers called “collateral sanctions” in state laws that restrict employment, housing, family involvement, and other rights and privileges, with the biggest affects directly limiting their ability to work.
- Again, numbers can vary from one state to another, Ohio providers wrote 63.5 opioid prescriptions for every 100 persons, compared to the average U.S. rate of 58.7 prescriptions in the year 2017 alone.
- Of the nearly 1.2 arrests for drug law violations in the U.S. in 2016, 84.7% were for possession of a controlled substance.
- Federal law defines child pornography as any visual depiction of sexually explicit conduct involving a minor, defined as any person less than 18 years old.
If you are facing legal problems, it is important to get the most experienced advice as soon as possible.